Thursday, April 9, 2009

Traveling incognito

After a few days of work, meetings and visits, today I decided to travel Singapore incognito. I put on an old Cornell t-shirt, cargo shorts, and tennis shoes and an old back-pack. I believe I now look like a regular tourist and I was secretly glad when a taxi driver asked me when I going back to my country. Perfect.

This disguise allows me to observe the routine lifestyle of this city state since most people simply continue with their normal activities when tourist are present but could be more self conscious of expatriates living among them.

According to Arabian ancient folk stories, the Caliph Harun al-Rashid often disguised himself as a commoner and, along with his Vizier, would visit at night the capital of his Persian kingdom. He wanted to directly observe the lives and strives of his subjects and thus have a better judgment when ruling his people for he knew that some of his advisers were less than forthcoming. He would often find his rulings were not implemented, some serious problems were not reported or some governors were abusing his positions. He would then inform his advisers of his findings or would take swift action against any incompetent or malicious governor.

For me, traveling as a naïve tourist opens that window into Singaporean society’s soul. It helps me better understand the motivations, desires and fears of this incredibly complex and driven multicultural society.

No comments: