Sunday, August 3, 2008

Autum nostalgia

It has been more than one month since I started at my new position in Illinois. It has been challenging but good. However, today I felt a little nostalgic about our life in Singapore.

I have been watering my lawn since the sod was recently laid and thus it requires almost daily care. Today I was preparing the hoses when I heard a familiar sound: The powerful honk of geese flying. I said familiar sound since our house is next to a lake and geese stay there for the summer. This time, however, a formation of around 15 geese flew just above me, maybe at 30 feet high. I could hear the flapping of their wings and their honks as they were preparing to land somewhere nearby.

As I looked at them I thought about their freedom to fly. In a sense, at that moment I felt I gave up my freedom to fly when I chose to come back to the USA and leave Asia. Maybe this is what finally means to settle down, I don't know yet.

1 comment:

Eesh Mengi said...

Hi,

Nice to find you on blogger. It was nice to attend your talk. We generally read all these kind of turnarounds in cases studies but got to hear it first hand from you. It was a wonderful experience.

I really liked your blogs as well and enjoyed reading it.

I would like to keep in touch with you. I also blog mainly on my travels.

http://my-roadtrips.blogspot.com/

I have another one but this was just to try out Search Engine Optimization techniques that I self-learned and I did pretty well :).

http://ooty-all-about-ooty.blogspot.com/

Warm regards,
Eesh