Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Japanese Sushi

Today I finally went to the Japanese Sushi place I had been eying for a while. Let me say that I am no fan of Japanese food but this place looks kind of cool. The last time I went to a Japanese restaurant was in NYC with a friend and I liked it, so I decided to repeat the experience.

However, there is a twist with this restaurant. It wasn't the food what attracted me in the first place. This restaurant is in the underground passage of Raffles City MRT station and is surrounded by glass walls, so people can see inside. The twist to the restaurant is that it includes a conveyor belt for the food! Yes, people sit in lines and there is a conveyor going in front of patrons with the different dishes going before them. People are free to select whatever they want and at the end of the meal the waitress will tally out the dishes and charge accordingly: 1.99 per regular dish or 3.99 for red dish.

I invited a friend and went to explore this place. He knows about Japanese food, so he was able to recommed some dishes. However, the type of food here is quite different from the one I had in NYC. My friend says this is more authentic and I believe him. I had some suchi that tasted OK. But then my friend had raw salmon and invited me to taste it... I was very polite and I said it was an acquired taste and I tried once: It was horrible! I cannot stand raw fish! I also had some octopus tentacle suchi, a "pregnant" fried fish and soft shell crab. I did not particulary enjoyed the suchi but I found suprisingly good the pregnant fish (is called "pregnant" because it still has the eggs in the belly). Also, the soft shell crab was good and the entire animal is edible. It is prepared by deep friyng it so the shell becomes so soft that it can be eaten. I guess now I can say that I have been to a restaurant where the food goes directely to you without waiters. Great idea

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOhhh my Gosh!!!! how I wish I was there I love susCHI!!!! lol, as you said not all of the people like it but I think for that is one of the best thing ever!!!..Well I'm not sure if all of it..