Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Talk at NUS



Last Monday I gave a talk about risk management at National University of Singapore (NUS). The idea came a few months ago when I was hosting the Cornell table at the MBA career fair in Singapore. My table happened to be next to NUS and I got to meet some MBA people and we exchanged business cards. Since I enjoy what I do, I thought that maybe somebody else may be interested in knowing more about it so I called NUS and offered to give a talk.

I got in contact with the president of the Finance club and we orginized the event. About 30 people showed, included a person that I first met when we arrived in Singapore and my Operation's TA at Cornell (Lucy). She finished the PhD and now is a professor and the college of business at NUS. I enjoyed the talk and I hope I showed the students how interesting risk management is in a global context. I talked nonstop for about 2 1/2 hours. Several students were interested in the topic and in job searchin strategy. As a result of my involvement, I received several follow up questions via e-mails and some phone calls. The student's reponse gave me some additional ideas that I will be working on shortly.

No comments: