Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to AWANA

Last Sunday marked the return of AWANA at IBC (International Baptist Church, the church we attend to here is Singapore). AWANA is a children's christian club and Sarah has been involved since we were back in Champaign. (AWANA stands for Approved Workers Are Not Ashamed). Last September I took Sarah to AWANA and I also wanted Daniel to start attending. Unfortunatelly, I was told that due to lack of teachers, his age class -4 and 5 years old- was restricted only to teacher's children. That's when Ric, the director invited me in. He said I could be the leader for the cubbies (name of the class) if I wanted since they were lacking teachers. I decided to take this unexpected challenge (it was the Lord's) and become the kids teacher, even though I had no experience with a group of children.

Ric told me not to worry much about it, if I raised two kids, I would be able to handle a group of children for two hours. In fact he turned out to be correct. Last semester I enjoyed beign the teacher of Daniel as well as the other kids. For some reason the kids like me and I like them a lot. There is another teacher in my class but I am responsible for it. During the class we have crafts, Bible stories and and other activities around the Gospel.

Last Sunday I was glad to see my cubbies, I had 4 girls and Daniel. The children are a lot of fun to be around and they keep me constantly "in my toes." If I get distracted for a second somebody will throw a toy, or will grab if from someone else or will start running and then I have to reimpose discipline. Sometimes I end up exhausted but at the end I am always very, very happy.

No comments: