Thursday, January 3, 2008

Durian treat

I'm suspecting that a couple of friend wanted to play a joke on me today. They asked me if I had ever had Durian and when I answered no they took me to the office's kitchenette.

Here an explanation is due: Durian is a tropical fruit very common in South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, etc). It looks like a green coconut with a skin that resembles pinapple spikes. However, the smell is HORRIFIC. It smells incredibly bad. The odor is in fact so disgusting that there are signs all over Singapore that read "No smoking, no eating and NO DURIAN." It seems that here it is a common trick to offer Durian to foreigners.

Fortunatelly, they gave my dried Durian so the smell wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still, the taste was too strong for me and the smell was indeed bad. After a few bite they asked for my opinion and I responded "I am trying to decide whether I dislike it or I hate it" A friend laughed off and said even though he is Singaporean he still hates Durian. I am still not sure what my opinion is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds kind of yucky!

Anonymous said...

Hola Gustavo y Mimí. Muchas felicidades, que Dios les siga bendiciendo así como a todos sus bebes.

Raúl Montaño Hirose