Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back to work and ...school uniforms?

After almost 2 weeks of vacations, I returned today to my job. The bank requires all employees to take what is called "block leave" at least once a year, that requirement includes even new employees like me. I have to admit that I was quite happy to learn about that rule since I was not expecting any vacation during my first year of work after my MBA. I guess it is one of the advantages of working at an European bank in Asa.

I went to have lunch with two of my colleagues and we went to a Chinese joint. It was one of those countless small Chinese restaurants by the Singapore River. Both of my friends order for me since the girl that was attending had just arrived from China and did not speak a single word in English. They suggested what to eat: A tradicional dish of noddles, pork, and dumplings. Note to people that do not know Asia: Food can be quite "different" of what we eat in the USA. When I go to an Asian restauran with Asian friends I have learned that sometimes it is not wise to ask what you are beign served; You may not like the answer. In this particular case, the food was quite good.

During the lunch, we talked about school uniforms. In Singapore all the chidren (and I believe it also include people in High School) wear uniform to school. People in the USA can find this concept strange given the emphasis in individual choices. The interesting comment is that here, even American kids attending American schools wear uniforms. My children go to an American school called ICS and have to wear uniform. The same is true for children attending Singapore American School (SAS), the best known school.

Another important difference is what here in Singapore is called "tuition classes." Since education is highly price, almost all children have to attend these after school classes to improve in math and English. It is not uncommon for children 10-14 years to go to school at 7:30 am and go back home at 7:00 pm. The desire to improve academically is ingrained in people at every level.

Today I also came back home by taking the MRT (Accronym for the Subway, I don't know what it means). As usual, I was observing people and I saw a mixture of races that represents this culture fairly well. I would say about 70% of riders were ethnic Chinese, about 20% Indian and 10% from Indonesia (Indonesian women always cover their head) Less than 1% are people from other places (like myself). This MRT is the only subway where I have seem people reading books and magazines without holding to the handrails. The ride is very smooth and people tend not hold on on rails. What a difference with Mexico City! El Metro (Mexican Subway) stops suddenly quite often and if you are not holding on, you will end up in the floor. Sngapore's MRT is highly efficient, like almost everything else in this country.

1 comment:

Alex said...

MRT.. means Mass Rapid Transit.... I love your blog, congratulations and have a very nice year...miss you all...from Mexico with love..your sis